Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Stapled To My Face

My married brother texted today to reschedule our regular Tuesday night meeting "because of the holiday." I'm embarrassed to admit that I had to consult a calendar to figure out exactly which holiday I was forgetting. Only later (once the sheepishness wore off) did I smile. You see, I had forgotten Valentine's Day. And that's pretty impressive! :)

It's true that I have no romantic attachments at present and so no particular reason to keep this traditionally couple-oriented holiday in mind, but for nearly the last decade I've been surrounded by lovely people (aged 18-30) that seem to be on a mission to make it impossible to forget. Now don't misunderstand me - I've never been one to throw a pity party on February 14th, nor join with others in half-hearted protest of what I've heard called Singles Awareness Day. But as a single, I admit that I find myself...relieved to finally be at a place in my life where this day holds no drama and can so easily be forgotten.

Perhaps one day when I'm starry-eyed and in love this day will mean more to me than it does, but if I know myself at all and the type of man I would likely end up with, this (from a beloved web comic http://www.xkcd.com/) seems like a more accurate picture of what I have to look forward to:





And I'm just fine with that. After all, who doesn't need more hammers? :)




Happy Valentine's Day!

5 comments:

Tania said...

I love you! You never fail to make me smile.
Congrats on moving into your place. Let me know as soon as you're unpacked and ready to come to Logan for a party.

McCall said...

Love it! You always make me laugh! Hope things are going well.

B said...

Hooray you are back! I love the post and wish someday to grow up to be like you!!

The Jones Family said...

Perfect :)

Unknown said...

hehehehe! Oh how I miss you.